Vital Adventure's

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mommy Adventures

Hi!  It has been a while since I last posted, but I found some time to write about a few things that have been happening since the little one has arrived.

First of all my husband and I are a little crazy and decided to take our newborn at three weeks old on a 2000 mile hike along the east coast!  Tristan has written a blog about it; I just have not downloaded the pictures yet.  I promise to post it soon.  I know you are probably thinking we are terrible parents, but we all had a wonderful time and Tristan has been to more states then most adults (this is my reasoning behind it).  In reality most of our extended family live that far away from us, and we really wanted our grandparents, aunts and uncles to get to meet him! 

What I wanted to write about today is how we are all adapting to our new lives together.  It is strange how it happens you think for 9 months (or the minute you find out) about the anticipation of having the baby and taking care of him.  Life consists of getting the nursery ready (he hasn't slept in there yet), all of the clothes washed, house baby proofed, dogs out of your bed, and then he arrives.  Life is not the same, but at the same time you can not imagine life without him. 

Your conversations change from what you did that weekend, or what trip you have planned, or the cute dress you just bought to "Yes, my child just peed on my toothbrush as I was drying him off on the counter..."  That really did happen, fortunately I had already brushed my teeth that morning.  You will discuss breastfeeding and what you went through during the labor without thinking about the people that don't want to hear about it (sorry).  I think you want to share with the world because it is such a life changing and major experience.  When I really think about it I haven't been through anything more life changing or wonderful.  Everyone's story is different, but it really does almost create a "mommy bond".  The woman in the check out line that gives you that encouraging smile as your child is screaming; she understands.

With this being my first week back at work; I am learning to juggle having a career and being a mommy.  Today for instance, I learned that it is better to have bathtime, the bottles prepared, and the car loaded up the night before.  If not you will end up leaving at least 20 minutes late unless you have terrible weather to drive through, then it will end up being more like 40 minutes late.

As I am loading the car up this morning (you have as much stuff packed as you would bring on a trip); I just then realize how bad it is raining.  I also realize that all of my umbrellas are in the car (so much for spending the 10 minutes I did on blow-drying my hair).  I run out to the car grab an umbrella and then start the loading process.  I get back out to the car during the thunderstorm (torrential downpour and I can't see three feet in front of me) and realize I did not grab my keys (darn it my car automatically re-locks after a few minutes, Ugh).  Back to the house grab the keys, first load is in.  Close the car so that the inside doesn't get wet, grab another load forgot the keys again...  Basically, finish loading the car with the necessary stuff and then grab Tristan.  We make it into the car and head down to our destination.  The roads are so wet and the visibility is awful, I then begin the "I have a baby in my car meaning I need to drive extra slow with the flashers on."  I start yelling at anyone that feels it necessary to slam on breaks during the storm and tell them I have a baby in the car.  "Oh goodness, I have become the crazy hormonal mother!"  Well needless to say we made it safe and sound and baby slept through the entire thing :). 

The exciting thing about this time is how much Tristan is changing and learning.  It seems like he discovers something new everyday.  He is really smiling and interacting now.  He will try to have a conversation with you, and smiles and giggles a lot.  We went to the Bass Pro Shop on Friday to visit Tara's husband Craig.  As soon as we walk into the store Tristan's face lights up.  He is smiling and taking everything in (uh-oh we have a little out-doors-man on our hands).  His favorite part was looking at the fish.  Tristan has never seen fish before and he would smile and giggle and then hide his head in my shoulder.  I love how everything is a new experience for him.  You really do have such an effect on your own children.  What you expose them to and teach them does play a part in who they will become.  I see this just with Tristan's reaction to things.  I am so proud of my little man so far, and I am excited to see him grow up.  I just need to keep my self in check :).

 Tristan and I looking at the fish (please excuse how I look this is after 6 hours in the car).
Playtime with Daddy!

We have many exciting things happening between now and Christmas, and hopefully they will make for interesting blog posts.  Tristan is going on his first plane ride on Thursday for Billy and Katharine's wedding in Newport, RI.  Congrats to you both early!  I love seeing two people get married that truly discover the meaning of love and will make great parents one day (no pressure).  Also congratulations to my sister Lauren and my brother-in-law Rin on their brand new baby Jeremiah David!  He is a beautiful baby and a wonderful addition to the family!  Hopefully, we can get the cousins together soon.

 Jeremiah David Born 8/29/12 5lbs 10oz!

Have a wonderful and hopefully dry day!- Tina

    

1 comment:

  1. You're a beautiful mother, Tina. Thank you for sharing what this is like for you, it's a treat reading about it and remembering the years before. You've always had a kind, big heart, congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete