Vital Adventure's

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tristan's Nursery!

When we found out we were having a baby boy our next step was coming up with the theme for the nursery.  I wanted something he could grow into, and would not be changing constantly.  I have been in love with the Ralph Lauren Sailboat Print and Nautical Stripe for a while now and finally had an excuse to buy it and incorporate it in my home.  We had lots of help from our family and friends putting the room together.  My friend Tara Smith came over one weekend to help us get motivated painting, and then my Mom helped Drew finish the painting. 

As the wall color we chose one of my favorites- Sherwin Williams' Tradewind.  This is a light muted blue with a tiny hint of green, and I love how it looks paired with navy blue and white. 
As Tristan's dresser/changing table we chose a solid oak dresser (kind of the typical dresser that most of us had growing up).  We found it at the thrift store for $80.00.  We painted the dresser navy blue, and the drawers white for contrast.  We used the existing drawer handles painted white and then we wrapped the handles in twine to give it that extra Nautical punch. 
The painting in the center is of all the lighthouses in Cape Cod.  Tristan will hopefully spend many summers up in Cape Cod and will get to see the lighthouses for himself :).

The shelf belonged to Drew and stored his massive DVD/Blue Ray collection for years.  It was just a cheap particle board piece that I thought we could makeover.  We painted the shelves and sides navy and then we used the Ralph Lauren Sailboat print wrapped around the back.  We only placed three shelves back in so that you can see the massive print.
 Along another wall is a bench we found at one of our local shops Scavenger's.  I fell in love with the bench, but it took some convincing to get Drew to agree with me on how great it would be for the room.  The artwork we made fits in with the seaside theme and adds a vintage feel.  I made the large blue and white striped pillows (using that amazing fabric I fell in love with years ago.)  Drew picked out the sailboat pillows and our friend Kati made them for us.  I think he did a great job in choosing them.
Here is an angled view of Tristan's Crib.  The bassinet will be moved to our bedroom when he arrives, and his glider and ottoman will go in the corner.  I made the crib skirt out of beach towels that have white anchors on them $15.00 total project (yes very proud of myself).  His name is mounted on the same Ralph Lauren print used for the shelf, and the drapes are made out of the striped fabric (we will be raising the drapes to elongate the window.)
Here is a picture of inside Tristan's crib.  His bedding came from Pottery Barn and his quilt was a gift from my Aunt Jeanne and Nana.  The mobile was a gift from our friend Kati.  Most of the stuffed animals belonged to me when I was born.

Today I am 39 weeks.  Tristan is estimated to arrive next Thursday, but we will see what he decides.  I am ready for him to come sooner if he would like :).  My house is clean and organized, the baby's room is pretty much done (still waiting on the crown molding), bags are packed and ready to go, and Tristan's Nana and Auntie Erin arrived yesterday.  Now we just play the waiting game and pray for a quick and easy labor and a happy healthy baby.  Hopefully my next blog will be about Tristan Thomas' arrival (fingers crossed).~ Tina

2 comments:

  1. Can I live in that room too? It's adorable and classy! Good job Ta-Ta!! Xxoo Erin Burgett

    ReplyDelete